one year after surgery


You have a special place Dear Lord that I know you'll always keep

A special place reserved for dogs when they quietly fall asleep

With large and airy kennels and a yard for hiding bones

With maybe a little babbling creek that chatters over stones.

With wide green fields and flowers for those who never knew about running freely under

Your sky of perfect blue. Lord,I know You keep this Special Place and so to you I Pray, for one Special Cavalier Who quietly died today

She was full of strength & love and so very, very wise.

The puppy look she once had had long since left her eyes.

She is dearly missed my Lord by her Mom & Dad.

She went to join her family in Your land that is Devine

So, speak to Abbey softly please and give her a warm hello.

She's a Special gift to you Dear Lord from her Mommy & Daddy, who loved her so.

Run free sweet Abbey.

Abbey 1/24/2004 - 1/3/2012

Oh my sweet Abbey. You are with the angels and finally free of this awful disease. I will miss you sooooooo much and I am at a loss as to what to do right now. I love you so much but I know we did the right thing today.

RIP and I thank god he brought you to us.

I love you so much.


Not doing well--Any of Us - December 29,2011

It's been a very long time since I updated and unfortunately this is not a good
one. It is now almost 3 years since finally figuring out what Abbey had/has. She
was doing relatively good until this past year and has been declining. We are
now seriously talking abou putting her down. I've never had to put an animal down in my life.
Thank you dear lord they have always gone on their own. I'm looking at Abbey in a
different way now---she is having such a very hard time getting around--she
slips and slides all over the place and falls. Her eyes just don't have the
"sparkle" they used to. I think she's plain tired of dealing with this disease.
George and I talked alot last night and shed many many tears and also saw
another neurologist 3 weeks ago and was told we were doing all that she would
have us do and saw our vet yesterday and he agreed with me about her quality of
life. My emotions are so up and down right now. One minute I'm ready to make the
appt. and the next minute I say no. George feels we need to give it a couple
more weeks to give the increase in prednisone and omeprazole a chance. I can't
hardly look at her right now without sobbing so I know it won't be long. If
you've read our story you know how much we do love her and how this is killing
me. I will post when we finally make the decision.

One Year after Surgery

Hard to believe that its been a year. Time flies. She is doing well and is a very happy dog. She was having some scractching episodes about a month ago and we were quite concerned. She has never been symptom free since the surgery and we never believed she would be--we hoped though. I felt she was having some distress so we took her off the temaril and she is now on prednisone which seems to be doing the trick. I have only seen her scratch a couple times in the past 6 weeks or so. The change has been quite visible. She is hungry though and I guess steroids do that to you. We are still happy that we did the surgery as our goal was for her not to get worse and we have accomplished that goal 100% and more as she is definitely better than a year ago. Any questions, please e-mail me and I will get back to you quickly. I still get e-mails and sometimes people call me as they are worried and I sure understand what its like to go down this road.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Day 7--Today is one week since Abbey's surgery and I woke up to Abbey making her distress noises--little cries in a sense but not really--very hard to explain unless you hear them. She was licking her paws. I am sleeping on the floor--mattress is on the floor with no frame and box springs so almost at her level. She is in a crate right where she can see me. I immediately opened the crate and felt her paws when she came out and they were soaked. I feel like I have been kicked in the stomach and about ready to vomit literally. The fear is horrible right now. That has been my greatest fear in this whole deal--not the surgery--not the recooperation--the fear that she will be no better than she was before BUT she has to be better and is because the fluid is flowing and the progression has stopped. As far as the symptoms of what she has been doing time will tell but she was sooooooooooooo miserable before this and from my post this has been going on a very long time. Right now I'm scared and feel like crying which as I type this I am starting.

Ok I call one of my people of my support group as I call them. :-) Her dog had this surgery 3 1/2 years ago and is doing well. She reasurres me that this is much too early for any changes AND I know this. I really do but you do go up and down with your emotions with this. One minute you're in tears and the next you're ok--well you have to be for them. Does them no good for you to be stressed out.

George calls neurologist to voice our concerns with the licking. They first want to rule out about allergy. When George starts telling me this on the phone I want to literally scream THIS IS NOT ANY --- DA-- ALLERGY. I heard that all her life. He calms me down--lol. Poor man is dealing with a menopausal woman again--lol. Up and down like a yoyo. I listen---hmmm yesterday I added rice to the chicken and yogurt. Hmmmm could she possibly be allergic to the rice? My head is playing tricks on me right now. What the heck--take her off the rice--gawd almighty here we go again. I have potatoes boiling in the pot now for potatoes, chicken and yogurt. Neurologist says put her back on the tramadol but only give 2 pills which I did and she is sleeping in her playpen. Thank god and I am typing my feelings on this blog. We're to call clinic in two days and give report. That is one thing I am very very pleased with Dr. Shores and all of the staff.

Well, the roller coaster is still going but at this time I'm going up instead of down like this morning. After George talked the neurologist I gave her two of the tramadol and she's been better this afternoon-evening. Even had her walking around a little bit in the kitchen and gave her some cheese on the floor and she ate it and took a couple of pictures. Also, she has stood up in the playpen a few times today and lets me know that she wants to get out and be held. So today is the first day really that I'm seeing a little positive and maybe she is recooperating a little. I know we still have a very long way to go. I'm still very concerned about the licking paw deal and of course with the tramadol that is no longer there but we are to call on thursday and give a report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a CKCS-Cavalier Spaniel-and you've run across this page by accident, you at least need to be aware of a disease that is in ALOT of the cavaliers. If you don't read this, then at least go to (link below) and read about what it is. It could be the best thing you do for your dog. We need to spread the word about this.

Day 23--she's feeling better and bored!!!

Symptoms of Syringomyelia - also known as SM

New videos can be seen at: