one year after surgery


You have a special place Dear Lord that I know you'll always keep

A special place reserved for dogs when they quietly fall asleep

With large and airy kennels and a yard for hiding bones

With maybe a little babbling creek that chatters over stones.

With wide green fields and flowers for those who never knew about running freely under

Your sky of perfect blue. Lord,I know You keep this Special Place and so to you I Pray, for one Special Cavalier Who quietly died today

She was full of strength & love and so very, very wise.

The puppy look she once had had long since left her eyes.

She is dearly missed my Lord by her Mom & Dad.

She went to join her family in Your land that is Devine

So, speak to Abbey softly please and give her a warm hello.

She's a Special gift to you Dear Lord from her Mommy & Daddy, who loved her so.

Run free sweet Abbey.

Abbey 1/24/2004 - 1/3/2012

Oh my sweet Abbey. You are with the angels and finally free of this awful disease. I will miss you sooooooo much and I am at a loss as to what to do right now. I love you so much but I know we did the right thing today.

RIP and I thank god he brought you to us.

I love you so much.


Not doing well--Any of Us - December 29,2011

It's been a very long time since I updated and unfortunately this is not a good
one. It is now almost 3 years since finally figuring out what Abbey had/has. She
was doing relatively good until this past year and has been declining. We are
now seriously talking abou putting her down. I've never had to put an animal down in my life.
Thank you dear lord they have always gone on their own. I'm looking at Abbey in a
different way now---she is having such a very hard time getting around--she
slips and slides all over the place and falls. Her eyes just don't have the
"sparkle" they used to. I think she's plain tired of dealing with this disease.
George and I talked alot last night and shed many many tears and also saw
another neurologist 3 weeks ago and was told we were doing all that she would
have us do and saw our vet yesterday and he agreed with me about her quality of
life. My emotions are so up and down right now. One minute I'm ready to make the
appt. and the next minute I say no. George feels we need to give it a couple
more weeks to give the increase in prednisone and omeprazole a chance. I can't
hardly look at her right now without sobbing so I know it won't be long. If
you've read our story you know how much we do love her and how this is killing
me. I will post when we finally make the decision.

One Year after Surgery

Hard to believe that its been a year. Time flies. She is doing well and is a very happy dog. She was having some scractching episodes about a month ago and we were quite concerned. She has never been symptom free since the surgery and we never believed she would be--we hoped though. I felt she was having some distress so we took her off the temaril and she is now on prednisone which seems to be doing the trick. I have only seen her scratch a couple times in the past 6 weeks or so. The change has been quite visible. She is hungry though and I guess steroids do that to you. We are still happy that we did the surgery as our goal was for her not to get worse and we have accomplished that goal 100% and more as she is definitely better than a year ago. Any questions, please e-mail me and I will get back to you quickly. I still get e-mails and sometimes people call me as they are worried and I sure understand what its like to go down this road.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day 2--This morning George received a call and Abbey had two seizures during the night. When George tells me this on the phone I literally fall to pieces and say something stupid I might add--I say I suppose they want us to put her down now". I must be truthfull on this blog. This is a roller coaster ride and your emotions sometimes make you do and say stupid stuff. You get scared etc. He said noooooooooooo--said they had already called our vet to see if there could be medication problems and they had ruled that out. They believed it was from stress. Abbey has had a few seizures since a baby as you know from my first post. I estimate them to be under 10 in her 5 years with us--that is the ones I have witnessed. Of course she could have had them when we weren't around her or asleep etc. They said it was still a go to come get her and to be there at 3 p.m. I ask my husband to go with me and he doesn't want to take more time off. Self-employed and has taken alot of time off through this ordeal so I say ok I understand and I can do this. I picked her up and the discharge resident go through everything with me in regards to meds and I have my list of questions. Here is what my list of questions was:

Gabapentin and omeprazole--same dosage?
How about methylprednisolone--still give it to her?
Seizures--she was on gabapentin which is anti-seizure medicine but used for pain for her so why did she have seizure anti-seizure meds?
How many times do I take her outside? Do we carry her out? Do I have her on leash? Ok to go down a couple of stairs?
Crate all the time or can she be in a room where there is nothing she can jump on?
Can she sit on my lap?
When should she be evaluated next?
Who takes out stitches--you or take to my local vet?
Seizures--sm related or some other disorder?
Playpen outside or leash or just ok to be by her and be free to poo and pee.
Ok to have a mattress on the floor and her to be in the crate or do I need to be flat more like on a very thin pad?
Medical emergency--I'm 2 1/2 hrs away?
When can she be bathed?
What do I do if she starts to scratch at stitches?
What to look for for signs of infection?

I am going back in a month to have her evaluated by my choice and I will start another list of things to ask.

After the discharge resident is done going over what was done and meds etc. Dr. Shores comes in and I ask all my questions. He said the surgery went excellent which was very reassuring.

So I go out and am and discharge desk and paying etc. and waiting for Abbey to come out and the resident comes out carrying her which he had told me before I could carry her out and probably would want to--She looks dazed and not that excited to see me which is a blessing I guess. All the drugs. We go out to the car and I put her in the crate and she does the screatching like she does when we go in the car--kind of like a child yelling mommy mommy they did this --they did that--mommy mommy hold me. I think thats the best way to explain it.

I then start our 2 1/2 hr. journey home and first thing I do is call George to give all the information from the doctor etc.

I get home and about a hour after getting home she is in a pet playpen and we give her some chicken and I think the excitement of coming home and just everything is too much for her--she has a seizure and I freak. My emotions are crazy--reminds me of going through menopause--whacko one minute and fine the next--lol.

That night both George and I slept on the mattress on the floor as I was scared to be by myself with her alone. I woke up umpteen times and would just look at her plus at 12:15 a.m. she had another seizure. These seizures were mild--last about a minute at the most and she did not lose conscieneness. She is content with being in the crate even though she hasn't been in one since a puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a CKCS-Cavalier Spaniel-and you've run across this page by accident, you at least need to be aware of a disease that is in ALOT of the cavaliers. If you don't read this, then at least go to (link below) and read about what it is. It could be the best thing you do for your dog. We need to spread the word about this.

Day 23--she's feeling better and bored!!!

Symptoms of Syringomyelia - also known as SM

New videos can be seen at: