Abbey

Abbey
one year after surgery





A 'SPECIAL PLACE'

You have a special place Dear Lord that I know you'll always keep

A special place reserved for dogs when they quietly fall asleep

With large and airy kennels and a yard for hiding bones

With maybe a little babbling creek that chatters over stones.

With wide green fields and flowers for those who never knew about running freely under

Your sky of perfect blue. Lord,I know You keep this Special Place and so to you I Pray, for one Special Cavalier Who quietly died today

She was full of strength & love and so very, very wise.

The puppy look she once had had long since left her eyes.

She is dearly missed my Lord by her Mom & Dad.

She went to join her family in Your land that is Devine

So, speak to Abbey softly please and give her a warm hello.

She's a Special gift to you Dear Lord from her Mommy & Daddy, who loved her so.

Run free sweet Abbey.







Abbey 1/24/2004 - 1/3/2012

Oh my sweet Abbey. You are with the angels and finally free of this awful disease. I will miss you sooooooo much and I am at a loss as to what to do right now. I love you so much but I know we did the right thing today.

RIP and I thank god he brought you to us.

I love you so much.

Mom

Not doing well--Any of Us - December 29,2011

It's been a very long time since I updated and unfortunately this is not a good
one. It is now almost 3 years since finally figuring out what Abbey had/has. She
was doing relatively good until this past year and has been declining. We are
now seriously talking abou putting her down. I've never had to put an animal down in my life.
Thank you dear lord they have always gone on their own. I'm looking at Abbey in a
different way now---she is having such a very hard time getting around--she
slips and slides all over the place and falls. Her eyes just don't have the
"sparkle" they used to. I think she's plain tired of dealing with this disease.
George and I talked alot last night and shed many many tears and also saw
another neurologist 3 weeks ago and was told we were doing all that she would
have us do and saw our vet yesterday and he agreed with me about her quality of
life. My emotions are so up and down right now. One minute I'm ready to make the
appt. and the next minute I say no. George feels we need to give it a couple
more weeks to give the increase in prednisone and omeprazole a chance. I can't
hardly look at her right now without sobbing so I know it won't be long. If
you've read our story you know how much we do love her and how this is killing
me. I will post when we finally make the decision.

One Year after Surgery

Hard to believe that its been a year. Time flies. She is doing well and is a very happy dog. She was having some scractching episodes about a month ago and we were quite concerned. She has never been symptom free since the surgery and we never believed she would be--we hoped though. I felt she was having some distress so we took her off the temaril and she is now on prednisone which seems to be doing the trick. I have only seen her scratch a couple times in the past 6 weeks or so. The change has been quite visible. She is hungry though and I guess steroids do that to you. We are still happy that we did the surgery as our goal was for her not to get worse and we have accomplished that goal 100% and more as she is definitely better than a year ago. Any questions, please e-mail me and I will get back to you quickly. I still get e-mails and sometimes people call me as they are worried and I sure understand what its like to go down this road.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Day 9--Well, woke up at 6:15 a.m. to Abbey licking her paws and chewing and scratching. What a thing to open your eyes to. Gets to me BUT again I know its too early to tell what the results of this surgery will bring. I have no regrets of doing it and never will--we felt we had no choice. She was tooo miserable and had been misdiagnosed for too long. Its that word "progression"--if we didn't do the surgery then what do we do--wait until she falls over? Please remember I'm writing what I feel and for everybody that is going through this its an individual choice and you have to do what is right for YOU and most importantly your DOG. Every case was different. Ours had a seizure at about 9 weeks of age so probably all her life she's had pain.

George calls the neurologist's office today to give a report on how she has done the past two days. She's coming around like I mentioned. George took her out this morning and said she is more lively than yesterday and after peeing did her little kick deal. Of course she is sleeping away now as she's had her meds. We used the last two tramadol this a.m. so will see what they say about that. I really don't want to give her anymore. I hope they don't recommend putting her back on the steroids as yesterday somewhere on the net I read about a dog having 15 teeth extracted yesterday and was because they had been on steroids for so long. Not sure what how long was. Something that will definitely have to be discussed if they say to put her back on.

Today I am tired. I know its 8 hrs. between meds but after getting them at night which I go to bed right after I toss and turn ---can't go to sleep. Don't know if its the time change or ???? Another weird thing--I am on bp meds which is controlled and yesterday had my checkup and expected my bp to be way up there because of all this--alot has happened the past two months--my favorite aunt passed away, Abbey and my son also is having marriage problems and has moved back here so you see alot on my plate. Unbelievable my bp was the lowest its been since I was diagnosed with high bp about 9 years ago. I couldn't believe it. Said to the aid it must be because of all the crying I have done. It takes ALOT for me to cry but I sure have had my share of letting it loose the past 2 months.

I also know that her licking and chewing and everything else is not allergies and is her sm. When I hear the word allergies I literally feel like I'm in the crazy bin. I am so sick and tired of being told this could be allergies. BULL SHIT. Excuse the french--lol.

Another person I have met on this journey her dog had surgery yesterday. She just called and now I'm scared again as we've been told its ok for her to be in a playpen, ok for her not to be on leash outside. She's been told crate only for 8 weeks etc. Now I'm scared to death that Abbey is going to get scar tissue. UGGGH. Stephanie I know you're going to read this and please don't blame yourself as like I have told you I have asked our neurologist and he says its ok. George is waiting for them to call him back as we are suppose to call them today with a report and George has his list of questions from me with him--lol. That is one thing I am very thankful for is Auburn University is very considerate about getting back to us and they take our feelings into consideration also.

Sometimes I get sooooooooo scared like a little girl wanting her mommy. Somebody just to reassure me that my dear Abbey who I love soooooooooooo much is going to be ok down the road and live to at least 10-11 if not more and be happy. If somebody could come to me with those words--omg I would be the happiest woman on earth. Thats all I want is Abbey to be happy and comfortable.

George just called and he talked to the neurologist--Dr. Shores and said he really feels like the scratching, licking etc. is from the inflammation and swelling etc. He asked some questions about things she's doing and he said he feels REALLY good about how it is going. When I hear that I breathe a sign of relief and I feel like I can get off my mommy's lap now--lol. Also, said its ok for the dogs to be by Abbey--like I said the other 3 are showing signs of wanting more attention. I'm very careful. Chelsea is pretty hyper so she is not allowed anywhere near me if I have Abbey on my lap. Bentley is very good--he's comfortable on my lap with Abbey so I did let the both of them with me for a bit last night. Chelsea is getting closer with George through this where before she didn't want to go with him. Now I think she thinks she has to have some attention and if I don't give it to her then he's not so bad--lol. Dr. Shores also said just to continue the meds like we are doing--no more tramadol--we are out of that and no steroids which at this point I'm glad. Could change.

I was on the opposite side of the house and heard Abbey making noise--like she was trying to call me so I go in there and figure she has to go outside so take her out and she goes poop and I'm shocked at how well she is walking--her head seems better also. Doesn't seem as tilted and seems like she's walking more straight.

For a day that started out so cruddy by my opening my eyes to her licking etc. in just 5 hrs. I feel good. This good ol roller coaster ride.

Abbey has done good the rest of the day. Tonight while in the playpen which is in our family room she let everybody know that she wanted out--she started thrashing the blanket around and kicking her feet and this was her definitely saying I want out and want some attention NOW. lol. Its good to see her coming around a bit. She only had tramadol this early morning--around 6:15 a.m. and there is no more and Dr. Shores said just to do the other meds that we are doing. I think maybe the a.m. is her bad time--when the meds are wearing off from the night. Unfortunately, I'm not getting alot of sleep as I just can't go to sleep right away.

Watching the video again put a knot in my stomach. Now that we know that she isn't wacko it was very hard to watch as she's in pain. As I typed that my hands were just frozen. Hard to explain but hard to even type--I guess somebody going through this would understand what I am trying to say in this paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a CKCS-Cavalier Spaniel-and you've run across this page by accident, you at least need to be aware of a disease that is in ALOT of the cavaliers. If you don't read this, then at least go to cavalierhealth.com (link below) and read about what it is. It could be the best thing you do for your dog. We need to spread the word about this.

Day 23--she's feeling better and bored!!!

Symptoms of Syringomyelia - also known as SM


New videos can be seen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObGnao_iZgA


GO DOWN A BIT ON THE PAGE ON THE RIGHT AND SEE WHERE IT SAYS:

MORE FROM: LINDERBELLE52 AND CLICK IT AND IT WILL SHOW ALL THE VIDEOS.

UPDATED A NEW VIDEO FROM 4/16.