one year after surgery


You have a special place Dear Lord that I know you'll always keep

A special place reserved for dogs when they quietly fall asleep

With large and airy kennels and a yard for hiding bones

With maybe a little babbling creek that chatters over stones.

With wide green fields and flowers for those who never knew about running freely under

Your sky of perfect blue. Lord,I know You keep this Special Place and so to you I Pray, for one Special Cavalier Who quietly died today

She was full of strength & love and so very, very wise.

The puppy look she once had had long since left her eyes.

She is dearly missed my Lord by her Mom & Dad.

She went to join her family in Your land that is Devine

So, speak to Abbey softly please and give her a warm hello.

She's a Special gift to you Dear Lord from her Mommy & Daddy, who loved her so.

Run free sweet Abbey.

Abbey 1/24/2004 - 1/3/2012

Oh my sweet Abbey. You are with the angels and finally free of this awful disease. I will miss you sooooooo much and I am at a loss as to what to do right now. I love you so much but I know we did the right thing today.

RIP and I thank god he brought you to us.

I love you so much.


Not doing well--Any of Us - December 29,2011

It's been a very long time since I updated and unfortunately this is not a good
one. It is now almost 3 years since finally figuring out what Abbey had/has. She
was doing relatively good until this past year and has been declining. We are
now seriously talking abou putting her down. I've never had to put an animal down in my life.
Thank you dear lord they have always gone on their own. I'm looking at Abbey in a
different way now---she is having such a very hard time getting around--she
slips and slides all over the place and falls. Her eyes just don't have the
"sparkle" they used to. I think she's plain tired of dealing with this disease.
George and I talked alot last night and shed many many tears and also saw
another neurologist 3 weeks ago and was told we were doing all that she would
have us do and saw our vet yesterday and he agreed with me about her quality of
life. My emotions are so up and down right now. One minute I'm ready to make the
appt. and the next minute I say no. George feels we need to give it a couple
more weeks to give the increase in prednisone and omeprazole a chance. I can't
hardly look at her right now without sobbing so I know it won't be long. If
you've read our story you know how much we do love her and how this is killing
me. I will post when we finally make the decision.

One Year after Surgery

Hard to believe that its been a year. Time flies. She is doing well and is a very happy dog. She was having some scractching episodes about a month ago and we were quite concerned. She has never been symptom free since the surgery and we never believed she would be--we hoped though. I felt she was having some distress so we took her off the temaril and she is now on prednisone which seems to be doing the trick. I have only seen her scratch a couple times in the past 6 weeks or so. The change has been quite visible. She is hungry though and I guess steroids do that to you. We are still happy that we did the surgery as our goal was for her not to get worse and we have accomplished that goal 100% and more as she is definitely better than a year ago. Any questions, please e-mail me and I will get back to you quickly. I still get e-mails and sometimes people call me as they are worried and I sure understand what its like to go down this road.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

5 weeks--1 day -----Well, first of all I got a great night sleep. Probably the best in 3 months since this all started. We went to bed at 11 p.m. and she slept on the bed with me and then she got me up at 6 a.m. and we got up and she went outside on her own I might add--me not carrying her and she came back in and I gave her meds and we went back to bed and I couldn't believe it when I woke up and it was 9:30. That is unheard of for me.

Ok now on to our visit yesterday. I actually took 2 dogs on this trip--my shih tzu Winston and Abbey. Winston's symptoms have gotten worse and he has been licking his paws horribly and rolling around etc. too. Well, on evaulation I was informed that they couldn't be tested because they had been on the steroids. I remained calmed but definitely did say I thought the purpose of this trip was to test them so why was Abbey put back on the steroids etc. Well, then when the dermatologist went over our options she refreshed my mind rather quickly lets say by saying she didn't think we would be able to keep Abbey off of the steroids because of the licking and scratching and my comment exactly was "good point". Since Abbey has previously responded to the steroids, they believe food allergy is on the low end of the list. I have been giving her Natural Balance Duck and Potato which is grain free but like a dummy I've been adding shredded wheat for the extra fiber along with yogurt. Right when I told them about the shredded wheat I said to them--thats smart--I'm giving her a grain free food and then I'm adding grain--smart. I was also told of the foods that dogs are most allergic to is meat, grain and dairy. So off of the yogurt and shredded wheat. The yogurt has aided me ALOT to get all these meds down here and I said what the heck I'm going to do now but then went hmmmm applesauce and it worked well.

On both dogs it was decided not to test either of them. We are going the "atopica" treatment on both dogs and started this a.m. We are also keeping Abbey on the temeril-p because it takes awhile for the atopica to take effect. She is on the temaril for a schedule of: two tablets twice a day for 7 days, then one tablet a day for 7 days, and then every other day for 7 more doses. Hopefully, when the temaril is completed the atopica will be doing the job.

We are also are to continue giving her the "Malaseb" baths once a week--leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse off and they added "Humilac rinse" at the end of the bath. I was also given "Malaseb Pledgets" to wipe between the toes, pawpads, lip margins and vulva 2-3 times per week.

So the above is the scenario on the allergies. Again I was pleased with the doctors knowledge etc. and again I'm happy with Auburn.

Ok now on to the neurology aspect of this. Dr. Shores said to start getting her back to normal lets say. Another words let her walk around more. Let her be around the dogs and see how that goes--when we tried it last night we had to get on Bentley as he wanted of course to play with her and she definitely is not in the playing aspect of things. We did let her go out the doggie door last night and this a.m. which he said she could. There are 3 steps off of the deck down to the grass. It was very very hard for me to let her do this. I'm nervous about her doing stuff again and is it too soon etc. I asked about her being on the "regular" bed and if she should jump off which she hardly ever has done in the past but she has done it. He said he gets really nervous when any dog does that because of bumping their head etc. I'm not sure what we're going to do there. George and I are going to be talking about this more and we did a little last night. George is tye type of person and handiman that can come up with anything. His nickname actually is MacGyver and he truly is that. He gave the ok for her to go on walks which we will do today. He said the first month is the most important and to gradually add stuff up to the 3 month mark and after 3 months be at normal again.

I'm feeling alot more positive at this point that at least after all these years that she's getting the help she needs and from very qualified people and I think that is the real important thing here--qualified people. If this regime doesn't work then we'll go from there and I see light at the end of the tunnel finally. Its been a very hard road and my little Abbey is such a trooper.

I keep getting e-mails from strangers in the same boat or different stages etc. and I love it. I know I will have a close bond when this is over. My e-mail is on here so you know how to write.

I soooooooooooo appreciate all the support and caring etc. Its actually overwhelming and I know so many love their dogs like we love ours. They are family. A very big part of us.

afternoon--about 1:30 p.m. Abbey hasn't been in the playpen today except for a very brief time. She's outside right now--went out the doggie door by herself and is out there sunbathing. I snuck on the other side of the house and took a picture of her but of course she's on the other side of the cyclone fence but she seems so happy today being given a little more freedom. Today is a very good day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you and Abby had a good day today. I hope you have another good night of sleep. I bet you will need quite a few lay ins to get over all the sleep you have lost. A new YouTube of Abbey would be good to see if you get the time. Hang in there, you're doing well. {{{{HUGS}}}}


If you have a CKCS-Cavalier Spaniel-and you've run across this page by accident, you at least need to be aware of a disease that is in ALOT of the cavaliers. If you don't read this, then at least go to (link below) and read about what it is. It could be the best thing you do for your dog. We need to spread the word about this.

Day 23--she's feeling better and bored!!!

Symptoms of Syringomyelia - also known as SM

New videos can be seen at: