one year after surgery


You have a special place Dear Lord that I know you'll always keep

A special place reserved for dogs when they quietly fall asleep

With large and airy kennels and a yard for hiding bones

With maybe a little babbling creek that chatters over stones.

With wide green fields and flowers for those who never knew about running freely under

Your sky of perfect blue. Lord,I know You keep this Special Place and so to you I Pray, for one Special Cavalier Who quietly died today

She was full of strength & love and so very, very wise.

The puppy look she once had had long since left her eyes.

She is dearly missed my Lord by her Mom & Dad.

She went to join her family in Your land that is Devine

So, speak to Abbey softly please and give her a warm hello.

She's a Special gift to you Dear Lord from her Mommy & Daddy, who loved her so.

Run free sweet Abbey.

Abbey 1/24/2004 - 1/3/2012

Oh my sweet Abbey. You are with the angels and finally free of this awful disease. I will miss you sooooooo much and I am at a loss as to what to do right now. I love you so much but I know we did the right thing today.

RIP and I thank god he brought you to us.

I love you so much.


Not doing well--Any of Us - December 29,2011

It's been a very long time since I updated and unfortunately this is not a good
one. It is now almost 3 years since finally figuring out what Abbey had/has. She
was doing relatively good until this past year and has been declining. We are
now seriously talking abou putting her down. I've never had to put an animal down in my life.
Thank you dear lord they have always gone on their own. I'm looking at Abbey in a
different way now---she is having such a very hard time getting around--she
slips and slides all over the place and falls. Her eyes just don't have the
"sparkle" they used to. I think she's plain tired of dealing with this disease.
George and I talked alot last night and shed many many tears and also saw
another neurologist 3 weeks ago and was told we were doing all that she would
have us do and saw our vet yesterday and he agreed with me about her quality of
life. My emotions are so up and down right now. One minute I'm ready to make the
appt. and the next minute I say no. George feels we need to give it a couple
more weeks to give the increase in prednisone and omeprazole a chance. I can't
hardly look at her right now without sobbing so I know it won't be long. If
you've read our story you know how much we do love her and how this is killing
me. I will post when we finally make the decision.

One Year after Surgery

Hard to believe that its been a year. Time flies. She is doing well and is a very happy dog. She was having some scractching episodes about a month ago and we were quite concerned. She has never been symptom free since the surgery and we never believed she would be--we hoped though. I felt she was having some distress so we took her off the temaril and she is now on prednisone which seems to be doing the trick. I have only seen her scratch a couple times in the past 6 weeks or so. The change has been quite visible. She is hungry though and I guess steroids do that to you. We are still happy that we did the surgery as our goal was for her not to get worse and we have accomplished that goal 100% and more as she is definitely better than a year ago. Any questions, please e-mail me and I will get back to you quickly. I still get e-mails and sometimes people call me as they are worried and I sure understand what its like to go down this road.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day 16--I feel like such a downer lately--don't write much positive.

I gave her meds last night at 9 p.m. because I was exhausted and thought maybe I could catch up on some much needed sleep. Went to bed and last time I looked at clock was 10:15 so assume I went to sleep around then. She woke me up at 3 a.m. and up I was and gave her her gabapentin. She was back asleep by around 3:30 and of course I tossed and turned. I think I did go back to sleep but not for long and she woke me up again at around 5. She was licking, scratching and then I heard her cry--first time since surgery actually and I her paw was like it had a cramp in it--I don't know about that one--I almost thought she was having a mild seizure but I don't think so. Definitely will be talked about today at neurologist. I put her into bed with me and had to really hold her and assure her like an infant toddler in a sense and I think my talking and reassuring calmed her down. She went back to sleep and of course I didn't so I've been up since about 3 a.m. I'm exhausted. About 13 hrs. sleep in the past 3 days. Our appt. in Auburn, Alabama which is 2 1/2 hrs. from here is at 10:00 a.m. which is central time. We're eastern time here.

I'm still worried and scared. Dr. Shores on the phone yesterday said he was still positive.

Will post tonight hopefully.

1 comment:

  1. >I feel like such a downer lately--don't write much positive.

    It wouldn't be a blog about SM and the recovery from decompression surgery if it was 100% positive. I still have sleepless nights when I see my baby girl exhibit even the slightest hint of her pre-surgery symptoms.


If you have a CKCS-Cavalier Spaniel-and you've run across this page by accident, you at least need to be aware of a disease that is in ALOT of the cavaliers. If you don't read this, then at least go to (link below) and read about what it is. It could be the best thing you do for your dog. We need to spread the word about this.

Day 23--she's feeling better and bored!!!

Symptoms of Syringomyelia - also known as SM

New videos can be seen at: